Yesterday was my kids’ first day of the school year. For many years, we have been having a First Day of School Celebration with an ice cream cake. But, as the kids have gotten older, I realized that the ice cream cake wasn’t a substantial enough after school snack for them and their friends. They need some real food, too!
This year, lots of the kids had after school activities so I didn’t want to spend a lot of time making snacks for a quick little celebration. Instead, I put together a simple charcuterie board. It’s probably my favorite party snack because it’s so easy to put together. It looks like it’s a big deal, but it really only takes 10 min to put together, once you have all the ingredients. I stopped at our local Aldi and purchased all the food
Here are the steps I used:
- Cover the kitchen island with some type of paper. I used notebook paper since it was a back to school themed celebration. But, you could use butcher block paper or parchment paper, too. Coloring book paper might also be fun for a baby shower. I then placed a long, wood cutting board on top of the paper. You could skip this step if you don’t have one. Or it would also be fun to use several wood cutting boards.
- Gather a couple non-food props. I looked around my house for a few school themed items. For this board, I placed a couple books on one end and topped them with two apples. One the other end of the board, I put some yellow pencils in a mason jar and placed them on the end of the board. Also, grab a few small serving boards.
- Purchase an assortment of snack or finger foods. Some a few ideas for snacks to buy are: chips, crackers, cheeses, meats, fruit, dips, cookies, candy, and veggies.
- Fill the center of the island with the snacks. I like to group each item in 1 or 2 spots down the board. For this board, I didn’t use anything sweet, other than the grapes, since we were having an ice cream cake, too. Here’s what I used for this tray:
- Salami and other meats
- Garlic Parmesan Pita Chips
- Assorted Crackers
- Pre-sliced Cheeses
- Goldfish Crackers
- Frito Barbecue Twist
Hope this tray idea helps with a quick entertaining tip to make your life simpler the next time you host a celebration!