Dia de los Muertos celebrations are often decorated with tissue paper flowers and tissue paper banners. Tissue paper decorations add a festive look to any Dia de los Muertos party. And, the best part about these decorations is that they add big impact for very little cost! Here are the instructions for each of these decorations:
(For pictures, please see this post)
1. Start with about 10 pieces of tissue paper. For smaller poms, cut tissue in half.
2. Make 1 1/2 inch accordian folds.
3. Using curling ribbon, tie the center of the tissue (you could also staple the center).
4. Trim the edges of the pom by either rounding the edges (see orange pom above) or cutting pointed edges (see purple pom above).
5. Pull apart individual tissue sheets, pulling toward the center until all pieces are separated.
1. Follow steps 1 – 4, above.
2. Begin pulling center sheets toward center. The only difference between the flowers and the poms is that with the flowers, just pull the sheets towards one side, not towards both.
1. Using about 3 sheets of tissue paper, cut paper to 14″x10″.
2. Fold paper in half, so your rectangle is 7″ tall by 10″ wide.
3. Cut 1 inch fringe into the open end. The easiest way to do this is using a cutting mat and rotary cutter.
4. Attach banner to ribbon, using double sided tape.